Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Furniture rehab! - Vintage Accent Table

My mom has had this table for years, it is not in the best shape, and since my parents recently got a beach place they are gathering up things to furnish it with.  So in keeping with the bright and airy feel of the condo (condo before and afters coming soon) I wanted to clean this up and lighten the color.  
Before Picture...

I sanded the table by hand starting with 100 grit, it has lots of little nooks and crannies which I'll admit flummoxed me a bit until dad gave me a little wire bristle brush, which worked relatively well at removing grime/stain.
The workshop and the help..
I usually don't like painted wood furniture so I tend not to create it, but perfectly sanding every little groove in those legs in order to re-stain was beyond me and my goals for this project.
I used an old can of oil based white paint we had laying around (because frugal) and I had to do several coats, brushing it on and tediously smoothing it out.
Finally I gave the little brass feet a good buffing and sealed everything with a clear varnish.  This should prevent any water damage, like the cup rings in the before photo, and prevent the feet from tarnishing.

Before and after buffing the brass feet.
I used a glossy clear Rustoleum spray varnish and it worked really well, though in the future I'll be more careful about getting the surfaces perfectly clean before spraying.
The finished table, crisp, clean, and shining, ready for a new life on the coast!  Admittedly this was a pretty simple DIY, finished in a few afternoons.

-Nicole

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised you painted that particular piece, I thought that was one of the older ones. Also I may have spent far too long looking at the photo with your "helper" :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a piece they were talking about getting rid of, so it was the perfect choice to rehab. Mom just sorta went "do whatever you like".
      I know any time I'm out in the garage working on something Toby is right there with me.

      Delete
    2. I firmly believe you can't hurt something if your original intention is to toss it or donate it. I love the table and think it will enjoy many years in its new incarnation at the beach. Thanks Nicole.

      Delete

I always reply to comments, so check back soon, or click "email notification" Thanks for reading!