I've been in the UK about three weeks now and I've settled in somewhat. The studio is now completely painted with Cat's Cradle (Earthborn Claypaints) on the walls and Off-Black Estate Eggshell (Farrow and Ball) on all the trim. I even painted the inside of the little closet over the stairs and picked up some classic clear storage containers to organize it.
I also finally had a chance to clean the paint off of both sides of this little transom window! Now even if all the doors are closed the hallway gets some natural light, a welcome change!
I love this little room and I can't wait to see it carpeted, which, SURPRISE we are going with wall-to-wall carpet in the studio, the front bedroom, the hall, and the stairs. We attempted to revive the floorboards but they are just in horrible condition and at this point we really just want the space to feel finished and cozy.
Next I used Farrow and Ball's Off-Black downstairs on all the new baseboards. All through the lounge, hall, kitchen and dinning space, we have brand new baseboards (because of the new floor.) All the screw holes (huge masonry screws) had to be filled and sanded, then a wood primer coat and two coats of Off-Black. All this took the better part of 3 days. Long days spent home alone; on the floor, listening to true crime podcasts, I went a little stir crazy.
I'm so in love with the way it came out, the soft black feels sophisticated and elevates the color of the limestone floors in a way I did not expect. I'm not 100% happy with my fill job though, when the screw holes were on the curved section of the trim, it was a real struggle to get a seamless fill (whos idea was that!?)
I used Farrow and Ball's Railings for the baseboards in the front bedroom (no pictures of that room yet!), this one is a deep blue-black, though it just feels black in there, maybe that will change once the carpet goes in.
I also painted the woodwork going down into the cellar. Previously the spookiest space in the house, it is now tidied up and a little more welcoming. I only had enough paint to do the one wall, but after I added new light bulbs, it made a world of difference. My next job down there will be to get some new shelving. I need a place to store all these cans of paint!
Finally, I threw paint at the outer garden gate, it is a POS but the paint helps a little and is a step towards the garden not looking abandoned!
In wedding news: We picked up the succulent favors! They are cute and now I don't want to give them away...