Friday, April 1, 2016

Friday Findings - Picture Frames and Vintage Art

I am always on alert for frugal framing options, and this week I came across 3 very large wooden picture frames.  Framing can be very expensive and I tend to need a lot for wall art as I like to both create and collect.  So spotting frames at garage sales (this huge frame for only $2!) or at the thrift stores is a great game for me. 
The best is when a frame comes with a white mat already!
These came out of the condo.
About two years ago I created my first gallery wall in Matt's old flat, using mostly second hand frames and original artwork.  
Looking at that gallery wall I see some things that worked and some that didn't, now I can't wait to do the next one.
I like to mix in photos (Matt has a great eye for photography) and some 3D art for texture, like this small bird embroidery I found on one of our day trips.
How cute is this?  Found in a charity shop in York.
I like buying vintage artwork when visiting new places, rather than the typical tourist chachkis.  Using those pieces to decorate results in something personal and unique to us; every piece tells a story, and acts as a one of a kind souvenir. 
From our day in Kutna Hora last fall.
Vintage book prints and a water color we found in an out of the way antique books store in the Czech Republic, all for less then $10.  Check out the whale print, all the names are in Czech! 
Another vintage book plate, Matt found this one in an antique book shop in Sheffield.
I've always been quick to fill my living spaces with art, so to me blank walls represent opportunity.
How did your favorite piece of wall decor come into your life?  What is it?

-Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always reply to comments, so check back soon, or click "email notification" Thanks for reading!